About Scherwood Golf
Scherwood Golf Course, founded by Bill Christenson, was built in 1966 and opened September 4th, 1967. The inaugural round was played by Gene Pettit (partner), Malcolm Benjamin (employee), John Whitaker (Hammond Times sportswriter), and Marvin Hanson (course superintendent).
Scherwood Golf was an extension of “the Scherwood Club”, a private club encompassing a large outdoor Olympic-size swimming pool and a clubhouse for private parties and member activities (also founded by Bill Christenson, in the late fifties). Original plans had only outlined a Par-3 course, but additional land was purchased and plans modified to accommodate an 18-hole regulation course. Ted Locke, from Bettendorf, Iowa, was retained for the design. An additional 9-hole par 3 course was later built on 20 acres that initially had comprised an archery field and playground.
In 1979, the golf property was sold to Marvin and Eileen Hanson, who still own and operate the business. In the early 1980’s, another 24 acres was purchased on the East side of the complex to add an additional 9-hole executive course, resulting in a 36-hole facility. In 1995, nine holes of the 18-hole executive course were removed to make room for the Greens of Scherwood Townhomes. In 1998, another 20 acres on the southwest end of the property was acquired to build two new holes, in order to allow room for a new practice facility near the clubhouse including two putting greens, a sand bunker area, and an all-grass lighted driving range. In 2004, a new clubhouse addition and renovation was completed, making Scherwood the complete golfing facility it is today.
Scherwood has been and continues to be a popular site for regional events, tournaments, and golf outings.
The original Scherwood ‘Club’ property, set on 9 acres, was sold to the Town of Schererville in 2004. The banquet building was razed in 2005 to make room for a future parks and recreation center. The property, known locally as Scherwood Park, now boasts a 1/2 mile paved walking track and is the new home of the town’s Historic Log Cabin from 1847.
Scherwood is located in downtown Schererville, Indiana occupying 165 acres. The 27 hole facility consists of an 18 hole – par 71 – 6900 yard regulation course, and a 9 hole – par 30 – 1600 yard executive course. Both courses offer blue grass fairways and large penn cross bent grass greens. The course is generally flat with elevated greens and water coming into play on most holes.
Scherwood was opened in 1967 and since then has been one of the most popular courses in Northwest Indiana. We have served as host to many area outings and tournaments. Scherwood is semi-private and offers large men and ladies organizations. Yearly memberships, both weekday and full time, are available on a limited basis.
Updates to the course have been made to create extra challenges and maintain a fresh new look. One of the most recent updates was the addition of two new holes to create room for a new modern practice facility.
Our clubhouse offers many services:
- A well-stocked pro shop with the competitive prices
- Bar & grill open daily ” sunrise to sunset” during season (kitchen in operation until 9pm weekdays, 5pm weekends). Full service breakfast and lunch menus for individuals or groups.
- Full-service bar offers big screen TVs for sporting events.
- Friday Fish Dinners featuring lake perch and other specialties (4:00-9:30pm) in continuous operation for over 30 years.
- Men’s and Ladies’ locker rooms with locker rentals available.
- Golf-event related events and functions of 40 – 200 people in private rooms with views overlooking the course and driving range. Family-style dinners and plate luncheons are available from our professional in-house catering service.
The 9-hole, 1700-yard Executive Course consists of par 3’s and 4’s.
This course is designed for beginners, families, and those wishing to improve their short game. It is manageable for the novice, yet challenging for the more experience player.
Several executive leagues are available.
Please call for more information: (219) 865-2554
Director of Golf
Marv Hanson, PGA Member
Carl Swanson, PGA Member